Jun 2, 2009

History 101

There’s a light rain falling today and the humidity is 73%. Great hair day – NOT! But the weather is not going to spoil our field trip.

Today I though I’d give you a mini-history lesson about our town.

Li.titz is nestled in the heart land of rich farming country in La.ncaster Co.unty. The earliest settlers were Swiss-German Mennonites in 1710 who fled religious persecution in Europe. They were quickly followed by the Moravians and Amish. They built old stone mills, wooden covered bridges and log homes. Many 18th Century town buildings have been wonderfully restored and can be enjoyed as you walk through town.

We live about a mile north of town on a windy county road. Well it has a painted yellow line so I guess it’s not consider an “old country road” but there is NO brim to walk on so we drive to the edge of town, park and then walk into town. This sing greets us every morning as we begin our walk. It’s kind of like the front door of a home, it says “Welcome. Come on in!”

Day 153

3 comments:

Darla said...

ok, i feel like i am now about to begin a tour! you know, it would be a great blog project to do tours of our towns to show one another from out of state. i really don't find my town that interesting but it may be someones only chance to see my town at all! you may have started something. hmmm. we shall see. :D

Mari said...

I love that sign! It has such an old feel to it.
I agree with Darla - I like this idea.

Joëlle said...

me too... I like it !