I will go to great depths to make sure my kiddos (mostly Nichole - she's my picky eater) are getting great food and the correct number of servings from the good old food pyramid. I might not always be successful but I give it my best effort.
This weeks choice: "Rainbow colored bread". I know, totally gross looking but when a momma is desperate she will try ANYTHING! Should have guessed that this week she would decide to become "board" with sandwiches. So the bread didn't work either :-(
There are a number of food items (fruit, veggies, fish, yogurt) that they have decided they just don't like anymore. And I'm not the type of momma who will make 3 different entrees for dinner just to keep peace - what I make is what's for dinner tonight!
I've been know to "try" and sneak extra veggies into casseroles or recipes, but my cover was and continues to be blown!!! Man are these kids smart - they must be getting too much Omega 3's (LOL) ;-D
However for the past month or so, I have been a "sneaky chef" and no one, I repeat NO ONE (well hubby is in on it) has figured it out. Well until now - I'm blowing my own cover by this post - but it's worth it! The entire family has been getting an extra dose of veggies, whole grains, anti-oxidant & protein boost and foods low in sugar. HeheheheHow you ask?
With my new, best $20 every spent on a cookbook - which I can't leave lying around the house in plain view!!
The Sn*eaky ch*ef to the re*scue, by Mi*ssy Ch*ase La*pine. In this cookbook, she offers a way to "sneak" nutritional punch into every meal by making food purees and adding them to recipes.
One of the kiddos favorite sweet treat; Peanut Butter Blondies. They have 1 cup of Orange Puree (sweet potatoes & carrots which neither of them like - or so they think) AND 1 cup of Flour Blend (all-purpose unbleached white flour, whole wheat flour and wheat germ). They have eaten them numerous times and haven't said anything about them tasting different. Another hit that uses the Orange Puree is Crunchy Chicken Tenders. The crunchy coating is a breading of almonds, whole wheat bread crumbs and wheat germ. There are even tips on how to give canned soups and boxed cake mixes a nutritional punch!
So do I feel guilty when the family is chowing down at dinner time? Nope! Not a bit!! I'm looking out for my families health and well being. I'm gaining knowledge about nutritious, least-toxic foods to offer them a strong, happy and healthy life.
So anyone interested in dinner tonight? ;-D


3 comments:
That looks like a great cookbook! I think I'll be checking into that one:)
Alright!!!
My kids aren't too picky - yet!!! I'll keep this one in mind for when they get a little older and sneakier!! ;-)
I tried to veggie purée mixed into recipes... it works !
But when there are bigger pieces in a menu, little guy won't eat them.
He is "anticonformist" and likes garlic, broccoli...
Post a Comment