Being a perfectionist has its pros and cons.
I can tell any member of my family exactly where something is located in our home – even if I’m not there and I put a lot of thought and consideration into a project I’m working on. Now relax – I have “piles” - - they are just organized, neat piles. ;-)
WELL, seeing I FEEL everything has it OWN location and must be done in a neatly state, it has created problems when other family members offer to help.
The hardest area for me to allow others into is the kitchen!
I have tried many times to cook/bake with my kiddos but it always ends in a mess and tears! The kiddos are a mess because they didn’t put the mixer into the bowl BEFORE turning it on and then I’m in tears because I now have to finish baking AND clean the kitchen. And before I get tons of comments about, “have the kiddos clean up what they messed up. It’s part of cooking/baking.” REMEMBER – I’m a perfectionist!!
Tuesday, Nichole went grocery shopping with me and while we were in the baking isle she spotted the Je.llo No Bake section. “Oh mommy doesn’t this look good? We should have dessert tonight.” My first thought was I don’t need that, but then I remember that do to the monsoon outside the entire family would be home and YES we should make this evening special. See we don’t have “real” desserts for supper – I offer fruit as desserts – but I was told that fruit doesn’t count. So I left her pick one and she choose a Cheesecake with Raspberry topping. And what happened next took both of us by surprise.
I told her SHE could make it ALL BY HERSELF when we get home! I think she would have jumped through the roof if we were not in a public place. I could tell she was very pleased – she smiled the whole way home.
When we got home, she dug out her boxed no-bake cheesecake and got to work. Yippee for me - I was able to let her do it and it felt okay!
I can tell any member of my family exactly where something is located in our home – even if I’m not there and I put a lot of thought and consideration into a project I’m working on. Now relax – I have “piles” - - they are just organized, neat piles. ;-)
WELL, seeing I FEEL everything has it OWN location and must be done in a neatly state, it has created problems when other family members offer to help.
The hardest area for me to allow others into is the kitchen!
I have tried many times to cook/bake with my kiddos but it always ends in a mess and tears! The kiddos are a mess because they didn’t put the mixer into the bowl BEFORE turning it on and then I’m in tears because I now have to finish baking AND clean the kitchen. And before I get tons of comments about, “have the kiddos clean up what they messed up. It’s part of cooking/baking.” REMEMBER – I’m a perfectionist!!
Tuesday, Nichole went grocery shopping with me and while we were in the baking isle she spotted the Je.llo No Bake section. “Oh mommy doesn’t this look good? We should have dessert tonight.” My first thought was I don’t need that, but then I remember that do to the monsoon outside the entire family would be home and YES we should make this evening special. See we don’t have “real” desserts for supper – I offer fruit as desserts – but I was told that fruit doesn’t count. So I left her pick one and she choose a Cheesecake with Raspberry topping. And what happened next took both of us by surprise.
I told her SHE could make it ALL BY HERSELF when we get home! I think she would have jumped through the roof if we were not in a public place. I could tell she was very pleased – she smiled the whole way home.
When we got home, she dug out her boxed no-bake cheesecake and got to work. Yippee for me - I was able to let her do it and it felt okay!
And guess what? There was no mess, she cleaned up after herself and she was very proud that I did not help her at all. I shed some tears later as I thought how a simple little task of making a dessert made her feel important, like I trusted her to do a great job. As I look at the smile on her face I know I did a good thing. It may have been a "little step" but it was a step in the right direction of letting go.
We enjoyed the Raspberry cheesecake made by Nichole for dessert that night and it was yummy. :-D
5 comments:
These are great pictures, but the story is better. I can so relate to what you wrote. I went through the same thing when my kids were younger. Good for you for letting go!
tell that daughter of yours...she can come to my house ANYTIME and make that divine looking dessert in my kitchen. man that looks yummy. way to go mom!!
can she please share? great job! looks delicious!
You are right..; a little step that means so much to them !
great Job, Nichole !
Hi Renee, I'm new to your blog and I so enjoy reading this post. I am not a perfectionist but I have a friend who is so it's nice to hear what's going on inside ya'll heads. :) Your daughter is beautiful and the dessert looked sooooo yummy! Stop by anytime for a visit.
Post a Comment