Feb 2, 2009

I know it's the Super Bowl but . . (stomp!)

It’s also my birthday!

I consider myself to be a kindhearted, sociable, peace keeper, putting others first and enjoy doing things for others kind of a person, but honey when it comes to my birthday – I want to be pampered for the day!

Thankfully I don’t have to share my birthday with anyone and unlike my younger (and only) brother; it’s not around a major holiday. Poor guy, his birthday is December 23 – need I say more?

Since we’ve been married (14 years in March), hubby has made my birthday a big deal! He will “step-in” the mom role for the day; take care of daily house chores, care for the kiddos and the meal (taking me to a restaurant of my choice!) so I can relax and enjoy my day. I Y it – I feel like queen for the day!

So you can only imagine my resentment yesterday when “my day” ran competition with the Super Bowl. Bah humbug! I don’t even like to watch football – I did now the teams that played yesterday though.

Hubby (along with me) invited close friends over; 4 couples who between them have a total of 11 kiddos. I thought no biggie. The ladies will “hang-out” upstairs, talk girl-stuff and mom struggles while the guys “have power over” the basement and watch the game on the large screen TV. Everyone brought food which was wonderful, but there was still some prep-work I felt I needed to do;
Clean out the fridge - I’d be embarrassed to have anyone see it
Tidy up the rooms we would be hanging out in – which was pretty much the entire house!!!
Clean the bathrooms – did I mention I have 3 of them?
Make the sandwiches – Ham & Cheese Sticky Buns – they were yummy J
Dig out & dust table extensions and folding chairs
Re-arrange the living room so we all could see the TV
and that doesn’t even include my church responsibilities that morning.

Are you feeling for me yet? Maybe just a little?

By 3 pm I had it in my head that “my special day” would be different from past birthdays and that it was going to be okay.

Everyone arrived, we had WAY TO MUCH food and as predicted the ladies occupied the living-room while the guys consumed the basement. I found myself having a great time and convinced that it was okay if there was no cake with candles to blow out – I was with friends and that’s what counted.

But at half-time the men came out of hibernation, the famous birthday song drowns out Bruc.e Springstee.n’s halftime performance and there was a beautiful cake complete with candles just for me!!

It was the perfect ending to another great birthday!
(sorry about the color - hubby is still learning the camera and that was the only pic taken!)

5 comments:

Momma Roar said...

What a special day for you!! I hope you have a wonderful week!! So, what number was it? 29? ;-)

Darla said...

beautiful cake! what a nice hubby you have too.

Mari said...

Sounds like a great day. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Belated wishes to your Birthday !
Joelle, Marc, and Kids

Growin' With It said...

okay, well that's better. a picture of you and a pretty cake! wow and brucie baby singing to you in the background...now that's pampering!