After pricing the "all ready made, just stuff" ones, I decided to save a few bucks and make my own. I also thought this would be a wonderful opportunity for some "quality bonding time" for N and I! After finding a simple step-by-step instruction, not to mention incredibly cute Jack-O-lantern pattern that used a 12" balloon as the base, we got to work. We cover a large section of kitchen floor ('cause I washed it the day before and didn't want to get it messy!), got the water/flour past ready and went to work! It looked something like this after 10 minutes:
In case you didn't get a good look at the photo, let me give it to you play by play.We just finished our first layer of newspaper strips that are COVERED, and I do mean COVERED in the flour paste, which by this point I'm quite please to see our progress 'cause looking back on it now I don't agree with the "simple" part that is listed in the title of the article. There is NOTHING simple about trying to keep soggy wet newspaper strips dripping with heavy flour paste on a smooth, round balloon surface.
So about the time we begin our second layer, the tape that is holding the larger than 12"balloon I inflated decides that it can not longer support the weight of the wet newspaper and paste and is in a s..l..o..w....m..o..t..i..o..n.. slid toward the floor. In a desperate attempt to save the balloon from hitting the floor, I gently try to pull the tape from the balloon so I can reattach it. Having time to think about that now, not a good idea my friends :-( Yes I'm smiling in the photo. In fact it was a ROTF laugh - what else is one to do in that situation?
So here are some of my thoughts to ponder when one (meaning myself) wants to be frugal and crafty:
- Cover your entire work area. This would include floors, walls, ceiling, pets, small children, furniture, EVERYTHING! I'm still finding dried flour paste within a 5 foot span (up, down, over and out) on the walls, under cabinets and yes the floor :-)
- Don't over inflate the balloon. When it's label as a 12" balloon, they mean to only inflate it to 12".
- Don't bother to wash the floor or wipe down kitchen cabinets the day before. There could be a "mishap" which would result in washing the floor for the second time in one week and re wiping of the cabinets - again.
- Wear "old" clothing! Unless your looking to starting a new clothing line - the splattered look
- If there is a mishap, wait until the paste dries. You can scratch the dried paste off of objects much easier. When it's wet, you just smear it around.
- If you feel a strong desire to be crafty with messy things, work in the garage, not the house. If there's a "mishap" the vehicle which was splattered could be taken to a car wash and washed by someone else!
- Just save yourself time and energy (not $ mind you) and buy a Pinata! Choose to be crafty with something less messy :-)

After having a day to reflect on the REAL reason I was trying to be crafty; I'm ashamed to say it was to "show-off". I wanted the other mom's to rant and rave over my lovely Pinata and to think I was great and all. Guess I learned my lesson - hugh? :-{
4 comments:
which lesson?
the one where you realize what an incredible mom you are!
or the one where you can be reeeal and laugh at yourself?
or, or, or...
okay, so the whole description of her party sent me into memoryville of the fabulous parties i had as a kid with bonfires and kick the can.
then the pinata totally took me back to grade school and i got chills thinking about how those slimy strips felt.
in the end my crafty friend...i'm thinkin' you are my hero. i think your daughter does too!
This sounds alot like my experience making a special birthday cake for Erica's bday one year. It took me forever to make this really cute fish or bear or something which I can't remember now and it really didn't come out so well and none of the girls said anything about it and I don't think they ate much of it anyway! They liked the candy better that was laying around. So from there on I think I asked them what they wanted and it was usually rice krispy treats. Which is way easier!
I have yet to make a pinata out of paper mache. You are one brave woman! But, here is a quick pinata tip that can make people oh and ah:
use a box. Cover it with wrapping paper and add lots of curly ribbons on the bottom. It is fun to make, looks pretty nice, and is not nearly so messy.
I hope to pop over again, soon!
Cindy P :)
hey you...
i left you an award on my post today! not a million bucks, but hey, just some lovin'.
Post a Comment