Sep 3, 2008

There they go

Today is the first day of school for our kiddos, and I'm struggling with mixed emotions.

Yesterday as they wondered through the house, being bored and fighting with each other, many thoughts ran through my head: tomorrow they go to school . . . I can do that tomorrow . . . I'll have more time when the kiddos are in school . . . yeah! they go to school tomorrow . . . it's TIME for them to go back.

Our time this morning was great, a dream that finally came true! They jumped from their beds at the FIRST sound of their alarms, got dressed without being asked (new clothing seems to help) and rushed to the breakfast table and had finished eating within 10 minutes! They brush their teeth, again without being told, pack their backpacks and were ready to head to the bus stop at 7:10 a.m.! The bus doesn't come until 7:28 a.m. so I had time to praised them and tell them they did a fantastic job today. (Just let me bask in this little dream of heaven just for today, for tomorrow and the days to follow will be different I'm sure LOL). We even had time to take those "first day of school" pictures. The bus was right on time, 7:28 a.m. So my kiddos boarded the bus and down the road they went.

So at what time did my emotions change from excitement to sorrow? About 10 minutes after the bus left and I was alone on the walking path. Hubby and I have been walking in the mornings, (for some time together and excerise too) but today he had a breakfast meeting so I went solo. Being along today I realized that God was setting a scene for me: the sun was rising, the birds were singing, it was TIME for a new day to begin. That's when it hit me . . . A NEW DAY/CHAPTER WAS BEGINNING. But time couldn't have possibly gone that fast! Did it?

Wasn't it just yesterday that I was lifting our first born into his car seat to take him to pre-school? Time has passed and he is entering his last year of elementary school, 6th grade.

T - 3 yrs

And I'm sure it was just yesterday I helped our little girl get dressed for her first day of pre-school. Where has the time gone. She got dressed herself this morning for her first day of 4th grade.

N - 4 yrs

TIME . . . where did it go and just what does it mean?

"Time is a very precious gift from God; so precious that it's only given to us moment by moment."
by Amelia Barr

But friends, my mixed emotions did not end on my walk, oh no. As I passed through the living room, I spotted a book I bought for N when she was smaller. "Let Me Hold You Longer" by Karen Kingsbury (one of my favorite authors!) Here's what the back of the book has to say:

"Best-selling Author Karen Kingsbury has created a touching reminder that the years of childhood fly too
quickly by us. Most of us faithfully remember and capture our children's "firsts." Karen encourages
readers to recognize and savor the often-fleeting "lasts" - those milestones that so easily go unrecorded.
The illustrations by Mary Collier provide a lighthearted portrayal of everyday family life . . . pictures we
can all relate to. You and your children of all ages will smile, laugh, and maybe even shed a tear over
them together. (Tears? I had rivers running down my face!)
"Let Me Hold You Longer" is a heartwarming reminder of the precious process of growing up and the joys
of watching it happen.

If you can, I recommend reading this book. It's like she is talking about my family. Enjoy your day and pictures of T and N's first day of school.


4 comments:

Momma Roar said...

Sounds like a great book!

Love the smilebox!

It must be nice that the bus actually stops at the bottom of your driveway, we'd have to walk out to the main road to catch it at 7 - blah!

4th grade a John B? Is there a Brady D(my maiden name) in her class? That is my nephew!!

Cheers to a great year ahead!

Growin' With It said...

oh where do i begin? i love, love, LOVE meeting new bloggy friends, so thanks for leaving me a comment and allowing me to come to your beeeeautiful blog.

in reading your post i felt like you took so many of the feelings and words right from my heart. and the way you described this new season was so very true.

great scrapbook too. i shall be back!

Short Stop said...

Hi, Renee!

So nice to meet you! I know how you feel. I am feeling so much of this right now as I send my oldest off to preschool. Even just three afternoons a week, it is hard on the good ol' emotions sending him off into someone else's care.

I'm so excited for him - he is SO excited to start school. But, it's hard. Hard to adjust to less "time" with him.

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I am glad I came by here today!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh the moments sure do fly by! Love the pictures. Your children are just precious.

Nice to have a bus stop so close!

Praying for God's peace to embrace you as those emotions flare :) I am such an emotion wreck at times...I cried the first day of school as I thought about all my friend's first babies headed off. And mine wasn't even headed off...LOL!