Sep 2, 2009

It's just country livin!

Day 245, Wednesday: Bein' the country gal I am & livin' off the land, I have 'come accustom to lookin' out my windows and seeing my neighbors livestock & natures wild life roaming around. So when I see this fellow hanin' out in my back yard this afternoon,

NOT IN HIS FENCED IN pasture, I got a little excited & nervous at what his next move might be. You see, just a few weeks ago my neighbor man warned me that this fellow has a temper toward people he doesn't know so I should keep my kids away from him if he's not in the fenced pasture.

Thanks for the heads up, but what do I do when he's in my yard and my dog is just lovin' the fact she has something to chase?

So I hop in my truck & drive back to my neighbors farm (they are Am.ish/no phone that they answer during the day hours) to tell them they are missin' someone.

I'm greeted by the wife, we exchange our "hello's" & she wants to chat & know how the family is doing. Couldn't she see by the look on my face this was NOT a social visit?? So I explain the reason for my visit, & she tells me her husband is working just over the hill & she will contact him. In the mean time, she heads to the garden, picks a large watermelon & hands it to me & says, "just toss this to him. We often give him this treat in the evenings. It should keep him busy until my husband can cum get him".
Um - thanks I think? ;-/

So I head back home, with watermelon in hand, to find him literally standing in FRONT of my garage door (which is closed) staring me down. I know that our dog is in there so I open the door just enough for her to get out & she is after him without any hesitation!

I fly into the garage & quickly close the door, again with watermelon in hand, and run into the house & ask the kids where the bull went?

He's at the basement door "heading" our hose reel. I have a moment of sympathy - awe he's thirsty - then I realize that he could possibly rip the hose right out of the wall & then I'd have more trouble. So I go out on the front porch and toss the watermelon down to him & it work's like bees to honey! Whew :-)
However he certainly was NOT taking his time in eating the watermelon & soon there is nothing left & my neighbor man had not arrived yet. So he walks around a little and become interested in the hose reel again.
I see an unfamiliar truck coming up the drive & let out a sigh of relief - it's my neighbor man!

He asks for some chicken feed in a bucket, which I have 'cause I own chickens, and he walks right past this beast, offers him the cracked corn & the bull takes the bait & follows him back through the woods to his home.

But that is NOT THE END OF THE STORY my friends!
I try to remember what I was doing before my day was inerruppted & as I walk past my dining room windows I see this!

Yep - he came back. But this time he wasn't so friendly. He was bawling & pacing in the front lawn, I'm pretty sure he was mad 'cause I was plum out of watermelon! So I decide to ignore him, pretend he wasn't there & go about my own business.

Easier said then done. I saw the neighbor man caming through the field to my rescue again! He asked me for somemore feed & lured the bull home the same way he did the first time. BUT he asured me "he wouldn't be gettin' aut again. I'm gona put in a pen in da barn!"

So I'm a tad cautious today as I work outside around the yard 'cause I'm not so sure "what" might be around the corner!

7 comments:

Growin' With It said...

i'm laughing so hard...cuz you are a true blogger to snatch up that camera and document the event! my FIL has cattle and they are always getting out.

hmm, are you sure that neighbor didn't just need/want some more chicken feed and sent his bull in to rig the whole episode?

what a fun story and hopefully it continues to be a happy ending!

Mari said...

What a day! I would have been worried too. I loved the pictures and the story you wrote with them!

Darla said...

haha, that is awesome. i loved the story. i think it is just SO COOL that you have Amish neighbors, with a bull on top of that, who eats watermelon. hahahah, that makes me smile for sure! i love it.

LaVonne said...

You are a hoot!! What a story. You know my fears - so stay as far away from that bull as possible!

Renee said...

What a day! I'm laughing so hard reading this but I am sure it wasn't funny while you were going through it. Hope you have a cow"less" and fun weekend!

Shelby-Grace said...

That's sounds like it was quite a day!! Makes me laugh to think he liked the watermelon so much!

Hope you have a fun labor day weekend:)

Lynn said...

That's crazy! Quite a story...