Mar 11, 2010

Oops . . . I'm a day behind. Yesterday (Day 69) I didn't take a photo, (sham on me I know!) but if I had, I would have taken a photo of the wonderful bunch of ladies I had lunch. We get together once a month to eat, chat, & reconnect! :-)

But last Wednesday I was enjoying this . . .

Day 62: Grand Cayman Island:
I was SO excited for this day, as it was my 1st chance to swim, play & snorkel in the the warm Caribbean waters! But don't let the picture below fool you.
"Mother Nature" threw her weather hand against me again. We were not able to dock in our original port & had to came in on the back side of the island where it was less windy. Which meant that there was not a dock to walk on to get to shore, we were tendered in to shore in smaller boats.
Our excursion to snorkel & swim w/ the sting rays was cancelled & I was heart broken. :-( But we were still able to take the Best of Cayman Island tour.
We toured historic George Town & passed the Seven Mile Beach where NO ONE was in the water as the red flags were up!
Then we headed to the Cayman Turtle Farm where the green sea turtle (the ones that stared in N.emo!) is being kept, bread & raised to replenish their decreasing numbers thanks to the tasty, Turtle Soup they are used for. Poor turtles :-(
I'm holding a 3-4 month old green sea turtle & they are SO cute. I seriously wanted to bring one home. And I could have - they can be out of water for 30 days - but I didn't.
Then we stopped at the Famous Tortuga Rum Cake Outlet for a quick sample - yummo!
And just to give you an idea of what the clam, color of blue waters looked like on the other side of the island . . .

This is a parking lot & the I think there was to be some beach on the other side of the cement wall, but not today. The waves would slap up against the wall and spill over into the parking lot. It was beautiful to watch, but not the 1st experience I wanted to have for my 1st time in the Caribbean water.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Those are big waves! The turtle is pretty cute too!

Shelby-Grace said...

Wow, what a beautiful place! Hope you're have a great time!