Jun 26, 2008

We arrived!

Well we made it to London safely, all flights were on time with smooth flying. But I can't say that we are bright eyed and ready to tour. I think I can speak for the rest of the family, yesterday (Wednesday) was a long . . . long, long day with lots of sitting. Our plane from Philadelphia to New York, JFK was what Dorothy calls, "a sewer pipe". YES it was small! Three seats wide. Nichole chattered the entire flight - think she was excited? Tyler enjoyed looking out the window at the land below and watching to make sure the turbines kept spinning. Phil listened to Nichole and Tyler and answered lots questions. Me - well, I did what I do best when I fly, I cope with the situation by sleeping.
We had a 3 1/2 hour layover in New York, so we had time to "people watch" and read magazines! Nichole found a Pop Star mag. that was entirely based on her new love of a Boy Band called The Jonas Brothers. She was quite for almost 45 minutes while she read the entire magazine! We grabbed a quick supper at the Legends Sports Bar before boarding for our final destination - Heathrow, London airport!
Funny thing - as we were taking off, the captain came over the PA system and gave some info about the flight and that the flight attendants would soon be starting the in-flight meal. But we already ate! Guess we should have checked our flight itinerary closer then we wouldn't have needed to spend money on supper. Opps :-(
The flight was 6 hours and 15 minutes with smooth flying but incredibly uncomfortable and cramped with VERY little sleep done by any Shirks :-( With only a half hour of the flight left, I hit my breaking point, I NEEDED off the plane now! I was tired! Tired of trying to keep Nichole comfortable so she could sleep. Tired of not being able to move and just tired of feeling ugh! I survived and on the ground we made it through customs with out any problems, (even with Wilber Buds, Hard pretzels, Marshmallows and pancake mix in my checked luggage) and found Ed. BIG hugs were given all around then it was homeward bound! The London Mennonite Center will be home for the next 6 days.
There is much more to tell you, but the lack of sleep over the last 25 hours is catching up. So I'm off to take a quick nap, shower and get ready to see some London sights with Ed and Phyllis. I'll send pixs tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!! Glad you made it OK. We are right behind you. I hope you have some hugs for us when we arrive:)

Dorothy

LaVonne said...

Glad to hear you've arrived safely & were greeted by friendly faces. Luv you all!
Mom